TRAINING AT HOME
TIPS FOR TRAINING AT HOME
Whether it’s an exam you’re preparing for, an audition role you’re really trying to nail or simply an exercise you’re working to try to improve before your next class, there’s inevitably going to be times when you’re unable to access the studio, even though we really want to, but don’t let that stop you! As I always say, when there’s a will there’s a way, and I’m here to show you the way by sharing a few of my favourite tips that will help you get the most out of training at home!
1. Warm-up and Stretch
Firstly (and arguably the most importantly) don’t forget to stretch and warm up before you get started. As tempting as it is sometimes to jump right in, don’t risk injury by skipping the warm-up. If you don’t know where to start, there are SO many incredible exercises including warm ups and stretches on the Claudia Dean World App that are perfect to follow along with when you’re training at home. Download the App here to access hundreds of exercises you can do from the comfort of your own home!
2. Create a Space
Secondly it’s important to note that you don’t need a studio in order to achieve your goals. One of my favourite quotes of all time is “be stubborn with your goals but be flexible with your methods,” which reminds us that sometimes we need to be creative and adapt to our environment. All of the exercises on the Claudia Dean World App have been designed so you can do them at home with a few handy pieces of furniture and some Power Equipment.
There are a few things to keep in mind when creating a space at home:
- Ensure it’s at least 1M x 1M to give yourself room to turn & jump
- Make sure it’s a quiet and safe space so you feel confident to try new steps & take yourself out of your comfort zone
- Try to minimise distractions by choosing a place where you won’t be interrupted by people or noise (bedroom, living room, outdoor area)
- Ensure there is enough light and airflow
Everything we create for our community at Claudia Dean World is designed for it to be easily accessible no matter where you are in the world. We want every dancer to be able to access our exercises and courses from anywhere at any time. For this reason there are a few things I'd recommend you take advantage of when you want to train at home.
- The Claudia Dean App where you can access hundreds of exercises, courses and so much more from the comfort of your own home. Each exercise is designed to it’s able to be adapted even without a studio, subbing things like a barre for a chair or table leg.
- The Claudia Dean YouTube Channel. Our YouTube has so many great informational videos and technique tips that are really helpful for when you want to train at home! Best of all, it’s completely free.
4. Remember that motivation comes from within
I like to think of inspiration and motivation as two separate things. We might be inspired by our hero dancers and things on our vision boards, but motivation is the internal dialogue that will help you fall down 7 times but stand up 8. If you’re really trying to nail fouettes you might find inspiration on YouTube, but having internal motivation will help you pick yourself up and try again, even if it's your 10th or 50th attempt. Having your goals written down and hung somewhere you see them a lot makes a big difference in helping you stay motivated. I like to have mine written down in my CD Planner, have a copy stashed in one of the compartments in my Dance Bag, and even have a copy stuck beside my bed so I’m constantly reminded of what I’m working towards.
My goal for everything that I create for the CD Community is to give every dancer the opportunity to improve their technique anywhere, anytime. I wholeheartedly believe that you can improve every aspect of your technique by staying committed to your goals and putting in the hard work, no matter where you are!